Wiekamp Hall
Vianca Montes De Oca
I chose to do my project over Wiekamp Hall for a couple of reasons but the main one is because I am a psychology major and Wiekamp Hall is where most, if not all, of my psychology classes take place. Therefore, I will spend most of my college career in Wiekamp Hall. It was also the first building I toured when I was first deciding on whether to attend IU South Bend or not. Wiekamp Hall is also the only building where I use the lounging areas, even if I have a class in another building.
I believe this project goes well with the exhibit because Wiekamp is a big part of the IU South Bend campus. It was one of the first buildings to exist and it was constructed in order to build more classrooms for our students. It was also the first purpose-built classroom facility to be added to the campus in over thirty years. One interesting fact that some students may not know about Wiekamp is that it was originally a coca cola bottling factory, but it was torn down in order to add onto the IU South Bend campus in 1994.
Wiekamp Hall was made possible through the great donation from Dorothy and Darwin Wiekamp, who the building was named after as most students can see on the first level of the building. This building is one of the largest for the campus containing several computer labs, many classrooms, and some lounging areas. Wiekamp Hall is also attached to the only parking garage that the campus owns. IU South Bend purchased the previous Coca-Cola bottling factory to add Wiekamp Hall and the parking garage. While Wiekamp Hall was paid for by donations, the parking garage was paid for through faculty, staff, and student parking fees. Since the parking garage is connected to Wiekamp, most people who park in the garage usually walk into Wiekamp to avoid the weather outside.
I believe that Wiekamp Hall will always be a big part of the IU South Bend campus because of all the purposes the building serves. I would find it hard to believe that there is an attending student that has not been inside this building. I can proudly say that I am happy I chose IU South Bend to continue my education and I am looking forward to the two or more years I have left here on this campus.
No comments:
Post a Comment