Time Well Spent
Emily Weidler
When I was first asked to come up with an object that represents what IUSB means to me, I found it difficult answering this question. I pondered this for a few days, while at school, at, home and even at work. I couldn't think of anything and I felt like I was wasting time choosing an object because with the busyness and fast pace of all my classes, I knew this project would be due before I knew it. Then it hit me: To me, IUSB means time. Time in the classroom, time studying, time doing homework, I spend all this time trying to ace my classes and overall work toward my degree. Then I realized there was no better thing to turn this concept into a tangible, material object than a clock. I started putting this idea to life by purchasing an old clock from a local Goodwill store.
To make this clock better represent time that fellow students and I spend at IUSB, I personally added the IUSB logo in the center of the clock. I cut this logo out from an old IUSB folder that I got from freshman orientation, where my college career began and my time started to be consumed with my schooling. It wasn't until after I added the logo to the middle of the clock that I realized the brilliance of its placing. My time revolves around my schooling at IUSB, just as the hands of the clock revolve around the IUSB logo. I also wrote my current fall semester schedule around the inside of the clock to display the time I spend on campus, in the classroom.
Like I mentioned before though, the time spent on IUSB is not only on campus. Countless hours of homework and studying take place off campus so my fellow students and I can earn our degrees. College not only consumes time on a daily basis, but it also often takes us many years of revolving our time around school to reach our goals of graduating college and entering the professional work force. Speaking from personal experience, spending so much time in the classroom and working on homework outside the classroom doesn't always seem ideal, but when I reach my goal, and earn my degree it will become more clear that this was time well spent.
No comments:
Post a Comment