Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Take-Out Containers

Food is Life
Madisyn Schenk

When I think of something that best represents IUSB, I think of coffee and food, just like any other college kid. To me, these are the two main things that keep us hard working, full-time college students running. For my exhibit I chose a Starbucks cup from our on campus Starbucks, a to-go box from The Grille, and a bag from Sub Connection. I feel that these three items strongly represent the food life and culture of IU South Bend. From hot food to salads and wraps, and hot gourmet coffee to cold, fruity smoothies, the dining services found on campus at IUSB are sure to please any palate.

Coffee and energy drinks run through the veins of IUSB students. At any given point of the day, you can stop by the Education and Arts building to see a line wrapped around the corner of our on campus Starbucks. Whether it means staying up late to finish a ten-page paper, or waking up early for your 8:30 AM class, coffee will be by your side the whole way. When walking across the IUSB campus at any time of day, I can guarantee that you will see at least three students with coffee in their hand, and most of it comes from the Starbucks located in the Education and Arts building. As a commuter, coffee is my savior in the mornings, especially when I have to wake up at 6:30 AM for my commute to school from Elkhart to make it to my 8:30 AM class. If I do not stop and get coffee on the way, I know I will be making a quick trip to the on campus Starbucks.

The next two items I have on display are a to-go box from The Grille, and a sandwich bag from Sub Connection. Along with the Northside Express, these dining areas are conveniently located across campus. Whenever I see someone walking around with a white, Styrofoam to-go box, I know they have just left The Grille. The Grille is a place where you can get anything from stir-fry, to pizza and a salad as well as much more. The atmosphere in the Grille is also something to mention, it is a very open and welcoming area for you to sit and have lunch with friends and classmates. IUSB went a step beyond just creating a boring, white walled cafeteria; equipped with a fireplace and leisurely sitting areas, The Grille is definitely a place to relax and enjoy lunch from any of the dining options on campus. If you are looking for something a little quicker and convenient, Sub Connection or Northside Express is the place for you. You can build your own customized sub sandwich from Sub Connection or just grab a quick and inexpensive meal from Northside Express. Both of these dining options offer comfortable seating and atmosphere just like The Grille.

All of these dining options on IUSB’s campus represent a main goal of IUSB, connectivity. Even on the sandwich bag from Sub Connection it says in bold letters, “I’m Connected”. Connection and networking with others is a big goal that many of my professors at IUSB have preached to me. These dining areas are places to mingle among other students and make new connections with others. Being a commuter campus, many people do not know their way around the South Bend area; most just know their usual route to and from school. Having these dining areas and options so close and tangible makes for a much better college experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment