IUSB Fountain
Lindsay Berger
When I was in high
school, I told myself I would never go to IUSB because it was so close to home.
I also thought people only went to IUSB because they too lazy to go somewhere
else or did not want to leave the comfort of their parent’s home. These
thoughts did not change until my senior year as I was applying anywhere else
but IUSB. My financial situation for
college was pretty dire and the other colleges I was applying to were not good
options. It was not until I talked to someone older who told me to apply to
IUSB because I would not have to pay as much because I could live at home.
Exactly what I did not want, but I knew I could get over this idea. I applied
and got accepted. It also turned out that my financial situation was completely
fixed. As I began taking classes, I realized IUSB was a lot better than what I
originally thought. Most of the classes are interesting and the sizes of the
classes are great. These are typical things to say about IUSB but they were
things I found to be true eventually. IUSB gave me the opportunity for a good
education and for a price I could afford. It was like IUSB cooperated with my
situation.
IUSB has many
distinct features and the fountain at the Crossroads is one of them. The
fountain features a man and a woman with a thin bronze ribbon stretched between
them that represents education and cooperation. We can see it in the fall
filled with water and students sitting around the edges of it. And once it gets
cold, the water gets drained out it. I am not sure about others, but just like
I miss warmer weather, I also miss seeing the fountain running with water and
people sitting around it. I look forward to seeing it filled up in the spring
and seeing more people outside lounging around on campus. I feel that the
fountain represents more than just an object to admire or it is just a statue
on campus. The fountain depicts how IUSB values educating students of all ages
and in a variety of areas. For the most part, but not in all cases, IUSB has
faculty and staff that cooperate as best as they can with current students and
future students’ needs. Although the fountain did not become a part of campus
until 2003, it still represents the history of IUSB. IUSB began offering
classes in 1916 during the Great Depression since some people could not afford
to attend classes at the Bloomington campus. I think the fountain shows how
people cooperated together to offer further education for people during a time
of struggle.
"Indiana
University South Bend." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 22 Oct.
2014. Web. 30 Nov. 2014.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_South_Bend>.
O'Donnell,
William. "Indiana University South Bend Facility FACT Pages." Indiana
University South Bend. Indiana University South Bend, 2 Feb. 2010. Web. 30
Nov. 2014. <https://www.iusb.edu/fiscalaff/fact pages2.pdf>.
No comments:
Post a Comment